Sunday, July 15, 2012

Walking on the Moon in Idaho?

  We moved on from Wyoming finally. However, I am definitely NOT sad we stayed an extra day. I could see us spending a week gallivanting around Yellowstone and The Grand Teton's sometime in the future. We found ourselves in Acro, Idaho this afternoon at Craters of the Moon National Park. I have never seen anything like it. I am not sure how to describe it. Although the word weird keeps cropping up. Due to the fact I am at a loss to describe it, I have stolen the opening statement from the National Park Service.
  Craters of the Moon is a vast ocean of lava flows with scattered islands of cinder cones and sagebrush. We invite you to explore this "weird and scenic landscape."
   I read somewhere that I believe before the Apollo mission, the astronauts came here to learn basic volcanic principles.
   In it's history, it has had an eruption of some magnitude every two thousand years. The last one being just over 2100 years, so its due. Yeah, as cool as it would be to experience something like that live, I am okay that it didn't happen today. In addition to walking this Volcanic crusted matter, we explored a cave or two. No bats, just birds. Here are some pictures.

Apparently, this is NOT kryptonite. Superman is not having any difficulty.

1 comment:

  1. I had never heard of that place before. Sounds really cool.

    ReplyDelete