Sunday, July 8, 2012

Is This Heaven?

  "No, it's Iowa." One of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies of all time: Field of Dreams. We made the trek south west from Chicago to Dyersville, Iowa.
  We watched the movie on the way to the field. There are so many times when I get those indescribable chills when I watch this movie. However, without fail, it happens every time Archie "Moonlight" Graham crosses over the "boundary" to save the little girl who falls off the bleachers. Even though I couldn't watch the video, the audio came through the speakers and I can create my own visuals as I have watched it so many times.
   I played catch with my boys in Center field. We walked into the corn and disappeared to the "other" side. I pitched from the same mound (okay, a most definitely resurfaced mound) that Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) pitched to Shoeless Joe Jackson (Ray Liotta). My son Timothy hit a bunch of balls, one almost into the corn down the left field line. When we got there, there were some people already on the field, hitting, pitching, fielding. It was like a pick up game with people from all over the U.S. Adults and children alike were sharing gloves, encouraging each other to take one more swing. You know, stop after that one majestic hit you just admire.
  Everyone was laid back, all with a simple purpose: to have fun and play like we all did as kids, carefree. It was truly a memorable moment and definitely a place struck off my bucket list.
  Another cool moment on the way: we crossed over the Mississippi River.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds awesome. I didn't even know they had the field set up still. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Vince, they do. Although, it's under contract which should close this Fall sometime. There was some people who have been a handful of times who were there as they're unsure what the knew owners will do. Apparently, there are plans to create a couple baseball fields for tourneys. There is some worry by the locals that it might take away from the mystique.

    ReplyDelete