Thursday, July 26, 2012

There's No Place like Home! There's No Place like Home!

We drove through Kansas today. What are two things you think of when someone says Kansas?
Well, I think of Superman and The Wizard of Oz! We found an Oz museum in Wamego, Kansas. We we're on the look out for the Kent's farm but no such luck.
I, as most people have heard about Mother Goose but Father Goose? Frank Baum wrote many stories, many of which are in a collection called Father Goose. He also had many books based in the land of Oz. I am not sure why I am surprised but I was. He signed a contract back in 1899 for a $1. Can you imagine signing anything away for a $1?
Anyhow, it was a cute museum in a very small town. It has all kids of neat memorabilia like a piece of Dorothy's dress wore on set, flying monkey carvings they used to create the actual flying sequence as well as complete sets any collector would love to have. Needless to say, it had a fantastic gift shop. We are proud owners of a Wizard of Oz board game. I am hoping this game will give my kids as much joy for years to come as does Fantasy Forest. I am also now a proud owner of a "Don't make me get my flying monkeys" t-shirt which will be a nice addition to my work collection. So, here are some pictures. I included what you see most of while passing through Kansas on I-70.

1 comment: