Thursday, July 5, 2012

Superman in Indiana?

  Well, another scorcher today. Got up to 102 degrees in South Bend. We did make it to Notre Dame. What a beautiful campus. We visited the main building, the church (we couldn't go in as they were having mass) the grotto, the library and the stadium. However, due to the suffocating heat we didn't make it to the bar as hoped to see all the Rudy memorabilia. Although, the kids can say they shot hoops on the Notre Dame Campus.

  So, off to Chicago it was. The traffic is something to write about but not here. We took a cab to Wrigley. I am honored to say I have been on the field at the two oldest ball parks in the U.S. as of this writing. The tour was most informative. We got to go into the box seats, the press box, the visitor and home clubhouses as well as the dug out.

I have pictures of the kids sitting in the chair in the locker of the visitor clubhouse. It was home for a day to so many famous people in the past. It was the last National League Ballpark Lou Gehrig played in. For many years, the Chicago Bears played there. I cannot imagine a football team in that little locker room. Legend has it they use to dress at the hotel before coming over due to lack of room. I think the one thing I found truly interesting was the scoreboard. It is split into three levels. So, you keep score for all games posted on that level you're assigned too. The clock on the score board was added for the football teams as they needed a time piece to keep track of quarters. Being fortunate enough to do both the Red Sox and Cubs tours, I give it to the Cubbies for a much more personable, knowledgeable tour.

  We tried to go to Hotdougs after the tour (told by an ex-local it was good food). We decided to walk from Wrigley and got caught in a down pour. Then, I found out it was only open 'til 4. Our tour started at 5. I guess I should have checked the hours first. Maybe tomorrow. We ended up going to The Capital Grille in downtown Chicago. The food was UNBELIEVABLE. Here I go, talking about the food again.

  On a separate note, I asked Tim to take some pictures around our hotel in Indiana and some of the murals they had of Notre Dame and he came back with this. Yep, there was a Superman appearance. Good Times!





1 comment: